January is right around the corner, and you may be wondering what forms your preparer will need to complete your tax returns. Below is a list of documents you can expect, along with their anticipated delivery dates. After the end of the year, you may also  receive letters from charities confirming your 2017 donations. Keep these with all of your other tax information.

If you had… You’ll receive Form… Around…
Wages from a job W-2 January 31
Unemployment income 1099-G January 31
Social Security income 1099-SSA January 31
Interest from bank accounts 1099-INT January 31
Dividends from stock you own 1099-DIV January 31
Rental Income 1099-MISC February 15
Income or loss from selling stock 1099-B February 15
A sale of your home 1099-S February 15
A distribution from a retirement account 1099-R January 31
Income from a partnership or S corporation Schedule K-1 March 15
Income from an estate Schedule K-1 April 18
Cancellation of debt 1099-C January 31
An HSA 1099-SA January 31
Student loan payments 1098-E January 31
Mortgage payments 1098 January 31
Tuition expenses 1098-T January 31
Distributions from tuition plans 1099-Q January 31
Health insurance from the marketplace 1095-A January 31
Health insurance through a job 1095-B or 1095-C January 31

Important Tax Dates & Information

If you were affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, or Maria and extended your taxes, they are due on January 31, 2018. You also have until January 31, 2018, to pay estimated taxes that were originally due on September 15, 2017, and January 15, 2018.

If you were affected by the wildfires in northern California, you have until January 31, 2018, to file individual tax returns on extension. You also have until January 31, 2018, to pay estimated taxes that were originally due on January 15, 2018.

For more information, contact me or visit the “Tax Relief in Disaster Situations” webpage on www.irs.gov.

Download a Copy